I drove about 2 1/2 hrs to this doctor in Louisville, Kentucky. The first day he taped all these spots on me, and I had to leave it on for two days. I felt as if I was in a body cast. I could not bend or twist or take a bath or wash my hair (ewww).
When I went back he took off all the tape, which did not feel too good (it was very sticky tape). They wrote all over my back, drew lines, etc, so they would be able to read the results when I came back. Again, I had to leave all that alone. No scratching, or getting my back wet. Again no bathing ..it was getting very old. At least I could bend and stretch and twist. I did have someone wash my hair in the sink. I could not stand it anymore. I left this on for another two days.
Results? Well, when they came in to tell me, the first thing the nurse said, was that I was not going to be too happy with her in a few minutes...she was right.
Here are my results....
1. Nickel. Really?!!! I make jewelry! Most of the metals I use have nickel in them. Did you know that most jewelry that says nickel free really is NOT? Yep, that is right. In most cases, "nickle free" really means low amounts of nickel. There are no government standards for nickel free or hypoallergenic. Most manufacturers define nickel free as free of nickel in the overlay or plating. They use nickel alloy to increase durability. When the plating wears off, then an allergic reaction can occur. In some cases even 14K WHITE gold has nickel in it.
2. Tea Tree Oil. Also known as melaleucha. Again....REALLY?!! Funny thing is, I've been using tea tree oil on my rash. Hmmm, maybe that is why it won't go away.
3. Lanolin also known as amerchol or hartolan or wool wax alcohol. This ingredient is in a lot of creams and body care products. Another funny thing, is most of the creams that I have had prescribed by my doctors have had this in it.
4. Fragrance or balsam. This is just about everything on the face of the earth. I am really having a hard time with this one. Do you know how hard it is to find a shampoo without fragrance? VERY!!! I am also going to have to get rid of all my candles and Scentsy smelly stuff. I love my Scentsy candles. Oh well....
5. Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile also called phenoxyethanol. This is in a lot of makeup and body care stuff too. As I look at my makeup ingredients, this is really the only thing in some of it that I am allergic to. Too bad I can't call the company and tell them to leave it out. Well, I guess I could, but doubt they would listen.
6. Formaldehyde. Now this is in just about everything in our environment. The following are ingredients that are in some of the things we use that turn to formaldehyde, so in reality is the same thing; dimethylolurea, quaternium-15 (dowicil 200), imidazolidinyl urea (Germall 115), diazolidinyl urea, bronopol (2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1, 3-diol), DMDM hydantoin. Did you know that any clothing that is not 100%, such as 100% silk, or 100% cotton, etc, has formaldehyde? Anything that is flame retardant, soil resistant, etc, also has formaldehyde in it. Yes, we are putting clothes on our children that is made with formaldehyde, which is a carcinogen; which means it causes cancer. I had a friend of mine that said that it takes A LOT of formaldehyde to cause cancer. Well, that may be true, but when you think of all the things that have this chemical in it, it adds up to be A LOT!!!
7. Cigarette smoke and smoke from campfires, burning leaves, etc. This does not include wood burning stove (luckily!). I was not surprised at this. Seems like every year I get a horrible cough that does not go away for months...like six or more months. Last year I had it for over seven months! I usually get this cough after I have been exposed to cigarette smoke. This is one reason I am so much for people not being allowed to smoke in public. I agree that we should all have our rights, but I also want my right to be able to breath clean air. This cough I get each year has been diagnosed as asthma. If any of you have ever had an asthma attack, you know exactly what I am talking about. It is as if someone has grabbed your lungs and wind pipe and squeezed them so much that you cannot breath in our out. It is just like suffocating!
Well, now that I know all this, I have a lot to figure out. As I learn, I will share, so stay tuned for more info. Also, if you have any info on this subject, I would be glad to hear from you. I have found that the best way to learn is by learning from others who have already gone this path.