Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Sunday, September 13, 2015

My Grandmother's Fruit Salad

Yesterday, I sent my son to the grocery store. In addition to some of the things I needed him to pick up, he requested apples. I have a hard time finding good apples, but I went ahead and told him to get some. As always, they turned out to be mushy....

There was one huge apple in the bag though, the size of a very large grapefruit. I decided to make some fruit salad with these apples, and would like to share my grandmother's recipe with you.


You will need apples, bananas, celery, pecans or walnuts, pineapple, small marshmallows, a 20 oz can of chunk pineapple (save juice), and mayonnaise or salad dressing. 


Cut up the bananas, apples, and celery and put them into a large bowl.


Open the can of pineapple. Drain the juice and set it aside for later. Dump the pineapple into the bowl with the rest of the fruit and celery. 


Pour the marshmallows (about 5 or 6 oz) into the bowl.


Rough chop the nuts (I usually use walnuts, but this time I had pecans on hand, so that is what I used). Dump into the bowl.


Okay, so this part is a guesstimate. Put about 1/4 cup (+ or -) mayo or salad dressing into a small bowl. Slowly add a LITTLE of the reserved pineapple juice. You will NOT use all of the juice. Whisk the mayo and juice until it is the consistency of dressing you would put on your green salad. 


Pour that over the ingredients in the bowl and mix together.


Put into the fridge for a couple of hours, then enjoy. It is best fresh, but seldom will you have leftovers, that is unless you make a boatload.


Oh, so what do you do with the left over pineapple juice?


This is what you do with the left over pineapple juice! YUMMMM!



















6 comments:

  1. Patty makes that same dish I believe, very pretty dish too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people make a similar fruit salad, but it's not exactly the same. One time when my grandma was making it, she didn't have an ingredient, and so she made the dressing with the leftover pineapple juice and some mayo.

      Delete
  2. Yum is right! I mean the salad. It looks and sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete