Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Some Line Dance Bling

I am honored to be a part of a special group of ladies called Southern Sass. We are line dancers from our local senior center, and we perform at various venues around our area. 

The costumes we wear varies from western wear to poodle skirts. This week, we will be wearing t-shirts that say, "Boots, Class and a Little Sass!" We have a huge function that we will be dancing at, and we are excited!

When I first joined the group, I was issued several costumes and some jewelry. One thing we wear almost all the time are our personal cross necklaces, which I do not have. The ladies know me, and were very surprised that I do not have one; I explained why that was...

In a nutshell.....

Yes I am Christian, but at our church, we like to focus on Christ's resurrection, not the death. Everyone understood, and I was told to just come up with something I was comfortable with. So......here it is, and here is the story...


I wanted something that reflected my beliefs, but something that fit my personality too. I searched the web and found this pendant that really spoke to me. "Christ is the anchor of my soul" is stamped onto a silver tone circle.  An anchor hangs in the middle of the circle. The person that designed this had entered a contest for a Christian bookstore, and was chosen as the winner. Now they sell this pendant which comes on a small silver chain. 


I did a little research on anchors and Christianity, and learned that Christians wore the anchor as a symbol of their faith. If you look at an anchor you can see the cross. The anchor is a symbol of hope. In ancient times, the anchor was a symbol of safety. It helps the boat to stay in position and from drifting away in currents. Currents can represent the hard times we go through in life, and Christ is our anchor to help us remain stable. 

I thought this was a prefect piece for me to wear; but the steal chain it came with was a little plain...I needed to have a little more "bling." I looked through my stash of beads, and found hematite beads. Hematite is a stone that can keep you safe, it can strengthen your spirituality, and keep you focused. All of these things are important when we perform; safety as we travel to our destination, focusing on the steps, and as far as spirituality goes, most of the places we dance at are places where people are strong in their religion.


I wanted a bit of bling for this piece, so I added some smokey crystals. Then, I added a long chain with no clasp for easy on and off, and I was good to go!


I love this piece, and wear it almost every time we dance at these places. 


No comments:

Post a Comment