Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

DANCE



One of my joys in life has been dance. Growing up, my sister's and I took dance lessons. I can sorta remember going to dance class when I was about 3 or 4. We lived in California at the time and my mom was pregnant with my sister. We only had one car, and so Mom could not take me to lessons, as so many other moms at the time who stayed home with the children. A van would come and pick me up for dance class. I remember one time, my mom was braiding my long blonde hair when the bus came. She did not have time to finish, so she just put the other side of my hair in a quick ponytail. Yes I went to dance class with one braid and one ponytail. It did not matter to me, I was going to dance!

I also took dance lessons when we lived in Texas, Alabama, and Florida. I clearly remember going to Mrs. Harris' class in downtown Cocoa. Her studio was up on the top floor of this big building. Actually, it was not that high. To me, though it was. We went up three stories worth of steep stairs. That was so memorable because there were not very many stairs in Florida at the time.

When I went to college, I was on several dance teams, and decided to major in dance. I really wanted to go into therapy, but at the time, it was very new. I never really got to do what I wanted to do. I have been able to use my dance a little. I've taught aerobics, and done some choreography of a few shows.

My daughter has pretty much fallen into my footsteps. She too is a dance major at BYU. She is getting ready to graduate this summer. Ashley was on one of the dance teams I was on (BYU International Folk Dancers). I loved being involved with Ashely when she was growing up and dancing. It was so exciting going to all the competitions.

Ashley is no longer on the Folk team. She loved it while she was a part of the team. She was able to be on their Spring Performing Arts Company (SPAC). Now, she is on Dancensamble. Ashley is going to be able to choreograph a piece for their performance in about a month...AND...the Martha Graham Dancers came and she was able to dance with them.WOW!!! Now, this week, Wednesday, Ashley is going to audition for So You Think You Can Dance. This will be her second time. She auditioned about two years ago in New Orleans. She did really well, but she was just not ready to go to Vegas. She has had so much experience the last two years, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment