Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Word of Wisdom Wednesday

Lately, I've been doing a lot of thinking about health. My daughter has too, and has come to the conclusion that she needs to be Vegan. I'm not sure if that is the best answer to many of her health issues. I'm not sure it isn't either, so I am going to be doing some research and sharing what I learn each Wednesday. I might include a new recipe, an article I found about something concerning our health or exercise, or just some thoughts about what I have found that has worked for me.

Many of you already know why I have named this Word of Wisdom Wednesday, but many of you do not. So, for the first week, I will share with you why I have picked that name.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has a health code called the Word of Wisdom. This code is found in Doctrine and Covenants section 89.  I hope you click on the link to read exactly what it is.

We believe that we have been blessed with a body, and that we need to take care of it. The Word of Wisdom helps us to know how to do so. Most people look at the Word of Wisdom as a bunch of don't do this and don't do that, especially when it come to what we put into our bodies. 

Personally, I have never had an issue with drugs, alcohol, tobacco, tea and coffee; even before I joined the church. That's not to say I never tried any of them, just that when I did, I did not like it. I will have to say, I NEVER tried doing the drug thing. Heck, I don't even like taking ibuprofen (it knocks me out). Growing up in the South, you would have thought I was a tea drinker. I never like the stuff, and when I joined the church, the tea/coffee thing was not an issue, and I am grateful for that.

My focus will mostly be on our food. Today, we hear a lot about allergies to nuts, gluten  dairy, etc; things that when I was growing up was unheard of (mostly).  Personally....I think people are becoming allergic to these things because it is in EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. Start reading the labels. You will find gluten in your shampoos! (just one example of what I am talking about.) WHY!? One thing the Word of Wisdom points out is moderation, and there is no moderation in many of our foods.

Well, I am not going to go on any more, in hopes that you will go read about the Word of Wisdom by clicking on the link here and here. Then next week, I will hopefully have some insight to share about one particular thing in the Word of Wisdom. I would also like to hear what all of you are doing to take care of your bodies, so please share.








No comments:

Post a Comment