Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Monday, February 24, 2014

UPCYCLING A T-SHIRT INTO A SCARF

My daughter in law was off today, so we went grocery shopping and to Good Will. 
I bought a couple of tie dye t-shirts for $1 EACH, and made a couple of scarfs.
The first scarf I made from a blue tie dye shirt. I love it, and I know who else will too...I plan to give this one away. So, how did I do it?
The bigger the shirt the better, and also it is best to get a shirt with NO side seams (but if you can't find one that's ok; use it anyway). The first thing you do is cut the hem off, and set it aside; you will need it later.
Then cut across the shirt under the arm pit area. You will need the bottom. Oh, and by the way, it's best if you don't have any lettering on the bottom because it won't work as well.
Next, you will cut from bottom to top about one inch wide.
 Cut all the way up and off...
Now you should have a bunch of big loops.
Next, you take the ends, and s.t.r.e.t.c.h....
You now have a BIG loop. The sides curl inside and finishes the loops off (if you have lettering on your shirt, it will not curl up as well). I noticed that when they curl, they will curl so that the outside of the shirt is inside. At first I was a bit disappointed, but then when I finished, I actually liked it better.
Now you have a stack of giant loops. As you can see, the color is not as bright, because, as I mentioned above, it will curl so that the inside of the shirt is on the outside.
Now this is where you need the hem you cut off and set aside. Tie the loops together, and then wrap, and tuck the ends in.
You can see here the difference in the colors. The hem is much brighter, and I think I like it better than if it all would have been the same color. You can wear this infinity t-shirt scarf long like this...
 Or you can wrap it around your neck twice. Now if I had used a smaller shirt, I probably would not have been able to wrap it around twice.
If you want you can even add a pretty flower or pin.
Hope you try this, it is actually pretty easy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment