Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Happy Mardi Gras!

Mardi Gras is upon us. So what is that all about? Well, if you live in New Orleans, it's one big party! Floats, parades, beads, and a whole lot of excitement! In fact, just about everything shuts down!  One will see a lot of purple, gold and green too.

So what do the colors of Mardi Gras mean? Well, purple is for justice, green for faith, gold for power. The Mardi Gras season coincides with Lent. Many people give up something during Lent, which starts 40 days before Easter. Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent and it ends on the Saturday before Easter. Many, but not all Christians observe these six weeks with a continual "fast". 

During my elementary school years, I attended the local Catholic school, even though I was Baptist (now I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). I can remember my friends giving something up during Lent. As an adult, I really haven't hears much about that until we moved to Louisiana a few years ago. EVERYone talks about what they are going to give up for this six week stretch.  Normally, I really don't give it much thought.

This year, I have decided to observe Lent by giving something up; and that is.....sugar. Yes, refined sugar. No cakes or cookies or anything like that. Honey is ok; and I'm not going to worry about sugar in pasta sauce, etc. Basically, I will stay away from the goodies. 

S I X WEEKS OF THAT. Yep! I'm going to do it! So, this weekend, I will be making some brownies. I had a Blizzard the other day. I love those things, and it had been a LONG while since I had one, and I wanted to make sure I got one before Ash Wednesday. Now, for the day before...Fat Tuesday, not sure what I will eat. I do know a lot of the times they call that day Pankcake Tuesday. I'm really not a huge fan of pancakes, so I will come up with something else....

I know...








No comments:

Post a Comment