Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fresh air and fresh water somewhere close to Elizabethtown, KY
formaldehyde 

This is my biggest concern, because there is pretty much nothing I can do about this. It is in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! There are other names for this too. Well, actually, other ingredients that turn to formaldehyde once it is put into our clothes, furniture, and a slue of other things.

Formaldehyde
     dimethylolu rea
     quaternium-15 (dowicil200)
     imidazolidinyl urea (germall115)
     diazolidinyl urea
     bronopol (2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1, 3-diol)
     DMDM hudantoin

I was told by my doctor that I should only wear clothes with 100%. Like 100% cotton, or 100% silk, etc. Well, I'm not sure that is going to happen, because 100% of my closet (well, almost 100%) is NOT 100%. Did that make sense? 

Did you know that fabric that is not 100% has formaldehyde in it? They use this as a bonding agent. Formaldehyde bonds the different fabrics together. So, if you are wearing a poly/cotton, or spandex/nylon (which is what bathing suites are made of), or some other mixture of fabrics, then you have been wearing something that has formaldehyde in it. Did you know they use formaldehyde to bond soil resistant or stain retardant, or flame retardant? Yes, our children's PJ's are made with formaldehyde.

Some other products that contain formaldehyde are--glue, plywood, insulation, fiberboard, particleboard, timber paneling, lotions, shampoos, sunblock, soap bars, cosmetics, body wash, toothpaste, baby wipes, bubble bath, home cleaning products. This is just a short list of all the products we use that contain formaldehyde.

The other day I posted something on Facebook. I said, "Formaldehyde is a carcinogen....causes cancer...So why is it in almost everything  Beauty products, clothes, furniture, etc." After I posted this, a pharmacist friend of mine commented, "It is such a minuscule amount that it doesn't cause harm." Well, yes, there is a very little amount in each and every product, but when you combine all the stuff that has formaldehyde in it, there is more than a "minuscule amount."  A little bit of this ingredient is probably not all that bad, heck, I've heard our bodies even produce formaldehyde, and that it is even an essential role for our metabolism. One thing I've been taught is, "moderation is all things." I feel that because there is so much formaldehyde in our products, that we have been over exposed to this, and, therefore, it is starting to cause problems. Allergies, headaches, sinus issues, cancer, etc, are just a few.

The purpose for me posting this blog about formaldehyde, is that as consumers, we need to know about his type of thing. I feel that the more of us that know about this, the more we can have our voices heard, and do something about all this formaldehyde and other ingredients that are not safe.  

Not long ago on the Doctor Oz show, I saw where they "blew the whistle" on sports drinks and some soft drinks. Do you know that there was a dangerous ingredient called BVO or Brominated Vegetable Oil. This is the same thing they use as a flame retardant for mattresses, and children's clothes. Overseas, this ingredients has been banned, but not her in the United States and Canada. Click here for the article that talks about this.

Soon after this episode of Dr Oz, I heard that these companies were taking BVO out of their products. See? Have you ever heard the saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil?"  Let's be a squeaky wheel and start having our voices heard. We need to let these companies know we do NOT want this stuff in our homes or on (and in) our bodies!

Here are are few other good places to get info about this. Click here for The Hidden Formaldehyde in Everyday Products. Click here for another good article about formaldehyde and what it is, etc. For another good blog, go to Thank Your Body here, for info on indoor air quality. You can also just search formaldehyde and get all kinds of info.

I had someone tell me the other day that, "I can't die." At first I had no idea as to what he meant. Then, I caught on...formaldehyde is used to embalm dead bodies. At first I said it was a good thing I wasn't a mortician. Now, I just say, lets leave the formaldehyde to the deceased...

No comments:

Post a Comment