Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Thursday, March 26, 2009

What A Day!

Yesterday seemed to be one of the longest days.

Tuesday, I took my middle son, Scott to soccer practice. We got there a little early, so he and two other boys were kicking the ball around and warming up. Scott kicked the ball, and his knee popped. It hurt, so he sat down, rubbed it and thought, "oh maybe I need to stretch a little more." After stretching a little more, he got up, and proceeded to kick and juggle the ball around like all soccer players do. Soon, he hears pop, pop! This time his knee gave out and there was no getting up. By this time, most of the boys and coaches were there. A couple of the coaches came up to Scott and looked at his knee. I'm sitting in the car wondering if I should just sit tight, or embarrass him by getting up to see what happened. Soon, he is hobbling to the car motioning me to stay, which I did.

It is about a 20 minute drive home, and by the time we got home, his knee was swollen and he could not walk on it at all. Now I had to figure out how to get my "little" boy of 5'11 and 167 # into the house and onto the couch. You see, no one else was home, and he is quite a bit bigger than I am. I don't know how, but we eventually got him on the couch and propped his leg up and started icing it. One of the ladies I walk with, her husband is an orthopedic doctor, he said that we were doing the right thing and for him to take 800 mg of ibuprofen and that he would probably need to be seen the next morning. That evening we played doctor by looking all kinds of things up on the internet. Scott has a friend that has had 5 knee surgeries and she was telling us all about it. We looked up the ACL, MCL, PCL, naw, we did not think that sounded right. Then we looked up about the meniscus. That was it! We knew that was probably it. It will be interesting to see what the doctor says....

Wednesday, first thing, I called the doctor to see if I could get him in. Yes, but not til 1. Well, Scott and his younger brother Benjamin both had eye doctor appointments at 2. It is so hard to get those appointments. I begged them to see if I could come in earlier. No way. So I called the eye doctor, and we were in luck. I was told to bring them in now. We zoomed over to the eye doctor, and got done there just in time to be 5 minutes late to the bone doctor. Then we sat, and sat, and sat. We were all STARVING!! We had not eaten since 7 a.m. and it was 2:15. So I got up and politely asked about how much longer. I was told the doctor had been in surgery and that it probably will be a while. I sure wished they would have told me this when we first got there. We could have ran across the street and gotten fast food and come right back. With my hypoglycemia, I really need to eat, and I was not doing to well by this time. I get very irritable and my mind gets real fuzzy, and I get shaky with a cold sweat if I don't eat.

Soon, we get into the see the doctor. After x-rays, the doctor comes in and sees that all seems to be ok. He starts poking and prodding, and nothing hurts much. THEN--he hit the right place and boy did Scott jump. "Hmmmm," the doctor says. He told us that Scott needed an MRI, because the xray dosen't show us all the ligaments and such. I asked him what he thought it might be, and he said he was not sure, but it could possibly be the meniscus (wow! we felt so smart....LOL).

This morning, Thursday, we took Scott in for his MRI. We won't know anything til his appointment next Wednesday. So, for now, we are holding tight, and Scott is taking it easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment