Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Has Anyone Ever Frozen Salsa Instead of Canning?

We are very much blessed with a great garden this year. We have tons of tomatoes, cayenne peppers, jalapeno peppers, and green, yellow, red and orange bell peppers. I have a great salsa recipe and I also like to make guacamole. I would love to be able to enjoy these during the cold winter months. I'll just have to suffer with no guacamole, but as far as salsa goes, I know people can that all the time. I was wondering about freezing it though. So, I got online and started to investigate. Some say no and others say sure, it's fine. But one thing that everyone says, that it can tend to be a bit watery.

I have never cooked my salsa, but figured that if I was going to freeze it, I would need to cook it so the water will cook down a little. I used about 30 Roma tomatoes, 2 cayenne (ours are very, very hot this year for some reason), and about 4 very large banana peppers and onion from our garden. I also added cilantro, lemon juice, and garlic. It actually came out pretty good. I am now waiting for the salsa to cool so I can put into freezer bags.

We have also picked some huge green bell peppers. Tonight, I am planning on having stuffed peppers. For dessert--our fist cantaloupe. I do believe it is ripe enough. yeeee haaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment