Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Monday, October 5, 2020

Spooky Inspiration

I love to design, and I love to be challenged. Sometimes, it can be very difficult, but it helps you to grow. In this post, I will show you what I came up with using this very "creepy" picture.


Each month, SJ Designs Jewelry has a challenge. Her husband, for the past five years, has been giving her a challenge to get her out of her comfort zone and also help her use some of her bead stash. They call it Honey Do List.

This month's Honey Do List is a "creepy" picture of some skulls. This photo was taken in Czech Republic, at Kutna Hora which is "bizarre bone church" they visited. This was definitely a challenge for me.


Well... I don't have any skull pieces I could use, and I don't work with bone. I did remember, I had some white howlite that might look like bones....sorta. I wrapped the howlite bead with brown copper wire and added some dangles for more interest. 



As I studied the picture, I saw reds, oranges, golden hues, dark brown, and copper. I remembered, not long ago I received dark brown Brecciated Jasper beads from a Bargain Bead Box subscription, and knew they would be perfect in this piece. In October 2020 Bargain Bead Box, I received some faceted garnet crystals I knew I wanted to use. The only thing...they were teeeeeny tiiiiiny, which meant ity bity holes.



I gathered red jasper, sesame seed jasper, golden crystals and copper and started creating. 


Funny thing is, when I'm creating, things get changed quite a bit. I went from having a long necklace to a short one. I went from one clasp to another, and some of the beads changed a bit. 


I chose this bamboo looking toggle clasp, because it reminded me of bones. 

Oh! I had to make some matching earrings...




I'm actually working on a video that will soon be posted to my Tappingflamingo YouTube Channel. It shows how I went about putting it all together. Hope you go check it out and let me know what you think. 


No, this pieces is not that creepy or spooky, and it, honestly, it was not really that challenging. I find, that once I get started with a piece, things just kind of fall in to place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment