Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

RESPECT THE FLAG

Several weeks ago, I sat in an audience before a show and watched the stage hands as they got everything ready for the entertainment. There was a lot going on. Some people were messing with lights and curtains, others were trying to figure out where props went. I noticed a couple of men trying to hang an American flag. At first I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
They had laid the flag onto the floor. Then they picked up the corners trying to get the flag connected so they could raise it for later in the show; dragging it around the floor in the process. 
It was a nice affect, once they got it hung, but these men apparently had no idea as to how to treat our flag. 
My husband and I have raised three sons, all of which earned their Eagle Scout award. Needless to say, our family spent many years in Scouting. From the time our eldest son turned eight and was a Wolf in the Cub Scouts, up until our youngest earned his Eagle (just last year). In total we have spent about 17 years in scouting. My husband and I both played a huge part in scouting, as Bill was Scout Master for several years, and I served as den and pack leader on several occasions. Needless to say, we learned how to care for our flag.
According to a website I found, the following tells how to properly care and treat the flag. It says, 
The U.S. flag should always be treated with utmost care and respect.  Remember, the flag represents a living country and, as such, is considered a living thing.
  • Always display the flag with the blue union field up- never display the flag upside down, except as a distress signal.
  • Always hold the flag carefully- never let it touch anything beneath it: the ground, the floor, water or merchandise.
  • Always carry the flag aloft and free- never carry it flag or horizontally.
  • Always keep the flag clean and safe- never let it become torn, soiled or damaged.
  • Always dispose of a flag properly, preferably by burning it.

  • Always treat the flag with respect.  Never use it for advertising purposes.  Never embroider it on household items or pieces of clothing.  Never use it as part of a costume or athletic uniform.  However, it is proper to attach a flag patch to the uniform of military personnel, fire fighters, police officers and members of other patriotic organizations- provided the patch is properly affixed. (Note: "properly affixed" is best understood by referring to the flag code.)
For more information about the American flag, its history, etc, you can go here.  As I travel around our great country, I see flags everywhere. I'm not sure people understand how to respect the flag, as I see it in all sorts of weather. It is fine to keep the flag up in bad weather, but the flag needs to be an all weather flag. A lot of the flags I see are tattered, and should be taken down and destroyed. Did you know that the flag is suppose to be taken down each night, unless it is properly lit? Most people do not know that. 


I know this may seem silly to a lot of you, but the flag represents our country, and, therefore, should be respected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment