Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Sunday, January 3, 2016

No New Years Resolutions For Me!

Scripture Accessories


Happy 2016! It seems the older I get the faster time goes by. I cannot believe it is already 2016. Now that is the beginning of a new year, everyone starts thinking about New Years Resolutions. Not me, though. I am really tired of making goals, and then not keeping them.


Some of the goals I have made have been, loose weight, get fit, get organized....you know the ones that almost everyone wants to accomplish. I've lost and found my weight several times. I've gotten fit, and then unfit several times too. As far as getting organized, well, we move around so much, that I have done that many times too. It has almost been a year since our last move, and I'm still trying to get organized from that move. I use the excuse of taking wallpaper down as the reason I have not accomplished that one....


This year, I decided I was not going to make a resolution. It is just a waste of time, almost a mockery. I think that we should continue to make goals through out the year, not just at the beginning. Small goals are the best. Oh, and goals that are specific and achievable.


So, even though I did not make a New Years Resolution, I did make a goal. It is a goal that I have accomplished on several occasions, but one that I feel I need to continue to do, over and over again.


My goal is....to read the Book of Mormon. To pray about it, and to reconfirm my testimony of this book.  For those of you who know nothing about this book, it is such a good book. It is another testament of Jesus Christ. It is a book that bares witness of His life and Atonement for all of us. Just like the Bible, The Book of Mormon was written by prophets. But these prophets lived in the Americas.


Before I ever read the Book of Mormon and joined the church, my family went to another church. My mom was a Sunday School teacher. When she started to read the Book of Mormon, she found that what she read and learned form this book enhanced her lessons greatly. She did eventually join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.


I look forward to once again, read and study and pray about the Book of Mormon. In our Sunday School class this year, we are studying this marvelous book, and I look forward to the things that we will learn and discuss.


At the end of the Book of Mormon, the prophet Moroni issues a challenge in Moroni 10:3-5:


"3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.


 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."

This is a great challenge and one that should be used when studying the Bible too. Read with a sincere heart, and real intent, and having faith that by the power of the Holy Ghost, you will know if these things are true.

That is what I plan to do. Read, study, and ask with a sincere heart, real intent and faith. I have done this on several occasions, and I continue to get the same answer that The Book of Mormon is the Word of God. One may ask why read the scriptures over and over? Well, we need to continue to read our scriptures because they guide is in our lives. It is a way for us to be close to God and to know Him. Many times answers to questions will come when we study our scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment