Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sixteen and Driving

Yesterday was my third child's 16th birthday. Yes, we went to get his drivers license, and yes, he is now a full fledged driver EEEEK!! Don't get me wrong, he is a very good driver, he's just young and inexperienced. The guy that gave him the drivers test said he did real well, and that he could not find anything to mark him off for. It is more that I worry about the other driver. One has to be a defensive driver, and with inexperience, you really don't have that.

As of this afternoon, when he is on our insurance, he will be able to take off for the wild blue yonder. We have told him, though, that that is not necessarily going to happen. He knows that there are still restrictions. In the state of Louisiana, the only restriction one has as a young, new driver is they can't drive without a parent between the hours of 11 pm and 5 am (because of curfew). In other states we've lived in, the new driver cannot drive with other kids in the car for a time. That is what we told him--probably 6 months. More crashes happen when a bunch of kids are in the car and the driver is distracted.

As a parent the most difficult thing, by far, is when my kids start driving. I just hope and pray for their safety. I want them to be a safe driver, and I want all of us to be safe drivers, because now it is not only me driving down the road, but MY child driving down the road too. Let us all be safe, smart and polite drivers....

No comments:

Post a Comment