Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Friday, April 1, 2011

Garage Sale Finds

Several years ago, I was into painting chairs. I had gone to a restaurant, where all the chairs were painted in cool ways, and I just fell in love. After inspecting the chairs, I thought to myself, "I can do that!" and so I did. One can only have so many painted chairs, so I branched out, and found a coffee table at a garage sale for a good price. I decided to paint it, and this is what it turned out to look like.


I love color, but at the same time, I like to have things I can use for many years, so I chose these colors. Terracotta and green which are pretty neutral.





The colors I chose for the flowers are all different colors, so they will go with anything I may choose in the future. After painting, I put a semi gloss acrylic spray to protect the table.







This weekend, our subdivision is having their annual garage sale. We have a very large subdivision, and people from all over the parish come to shop. It is always a very busy day, and if you are wanting in or out of the subdivision, you might want to give yourself another 30 minutes, or you will be late. This morning on our walk, we saw many already setting up and getting ready for the garage sale. One of the ladies I walk with invited me into her home to show what she had. I quickly fell in love with this cow. Now, I am not usually a cow fan, they are ok, but I don't gravitate to them like many of you do. I just fell in love with this one though, and guess what!? It was only $1. So I took it. It now sits nicely along side our piano.




After I went home and cleaned up, I decided to drive around the neighborhood to see if anyone was setting up with something I might like. I wished I had of drove around before I went home after my walk, because one lady had a beautiful day bed---for $100!!! Exactly what I was looking for and the right price. Oh well. But she did have something I thought was pretty cool. A coffee table. It was a great price, so I bought it. I would like to paint it, but it is veneer. She had already sanded the sides up, because that is what she had planned to do, but then decided not to.

So, now, I need to figure out how to paint it. I would love to paint the top white and the legs either a light blue or light green. The only problem is, since it is a heavy veneer, I'm not sure if I can paint the top. I need to sand, but it will take quite a bit of sanding, and I'm afraid that the sanding will go too far, and then I might ruin the table.



So, does anyone have any ideas or experience in this? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts. I called our local hardware store, and they told me that I could just prime it and it would be fine, I question that, because the top is so slick. I'm not sure that the paint would adhere to the table, and it would just peel off. And, like I said not sure I can actually sand it, because it is such a high gloss.

1 comment:

  1. I google and found lots of stuff like this: http://www.livingwithlindsay.com/2009/05/how-to-paint-laminate-furniture.html

    ReplyDelete