Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Monday, April 8, 2013

HOMEMADE D. O. FOR YOUR B. O.

 Since I found out I am allergic to several ingredients that are in our hair, body and makeup stuff, I have decided to try to make some of it. I put in an order for some of the ingredients and it came...very quickly. As soon as it arrived, I nabbed it off the porch, opened the box, and took out all my new things.
 The first thing I wanted to make was deodorant.  A couple of years ago, I started to break out under my arms. The rash was not only unsightful, but was very, very itchy!!! I tried all kinds of underarm stuff, even the ones that claimed they were for sensitive skin. Living in Louisiana and walking four miles everyday, I needed something, especially in the summer. When all the underarm stuff didn't work, I tried baby power and then medicated powder.  I figured I was just going to be stinky for the rest of my life. Actually, I am lucky that I don't really sweat are smell too bad.

Again, I got this wonderful recipe from Robin over at Thank Your Body. Told you I would be referring to her site a lot. Her recipe called for:
2 Tblsp baking soda
1/3 cup arrow root powder
1/3 cup coconut oil
10 to 15 drops of essential oil
I left out the oils for two reasons, one--I don't have any, and two--my dermatologist that did all my allergy testing said not to use any smelly stuff, even essential oils for a couple of months. DARN!!!

I used virgin coconut oil, which smells divine!  I love the way coconut smells, so really, I don't need the essential oils.
 I first mixed the dry ingredients real well, then added the coconut oil. Now for those of you who are not familiar with coconut oil, it is a funny thing. When it is cool, like it was today, it is a solid. When it is warm, it turns into a liquid. I found it a little difficult to mix the coconut oil, but I just kept working at it. I used a fork to break up the coconut oil, and then the back of a spoon to smoosh it all together. Then I spooned it all into a baby food jar. 
My only complaint is the jar I put it in. Just because the lid does not stay on too well. I think this stuff will probably last me awhile. It is still on the cool side, so I really can't give you a good review on how well it works. In a few weeks, I will be down in Florida and the Caribbean on a cruise, so I am sure by the time I get back, I will know if this is a go or no go. I sure hope it is a go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment