Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Friday, January 9, 2009

The Walkers


Something I enjoy doing everyday is walking. I especially like walking on the beach, but since I live in Northern Louisiana, I have to settle for walking in the neighborhood.

Our family moved to Louisiana about 1 1/2 years ago. One morning, as I was in the process of unpacking, the doorbell rang. I opened the door to find two ladies who welcomed me into the neighborhood. I learned that they had a walking group and I've been walking with them ever since.

Every morning at 8:30, I meet with these ladies in the neighborhood for our walk. Sometimes there are four of us, sometimes maybe just two, but unless it is raining, you will find us walking and talking, and solving the problems of the world. We are known in our neighborhood as "The Walkers".

Walking with someone else, makes you feel obligated, which is a good thing. We walk for about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs each day. We have a fairly large neighborhood--about 500 homes and growing. We usually walk about three to four miles each day, depending on whether or not we get side tracked. Sometimes we like to stop and check out one of the homes that is being built. Exercising each day with these ladies has not only helped me to feel better about our move, but also to feel better about myself. I am finally on an exercise program that I enjoy and fits into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment