Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

PICTURES ON TILES

I've been wanting to put pictures on tile for a long time. I tried it about a year ago, and had a mess on my hands. A few weeks ago, our ladies group at church got together for a craft night, and I finally learned how to do them.

First off, NEVER use glossy pictures. I figured that was my problem, but had a hard time finding matte photo paper or a place that would print on matte in our area. Now that we have moved, I have had better luck in finding the matte.


The supplies you will need are your photos, tiles, sponge brush, Modge Podge, and sealer. It's best too, to make a pattern if your pictures are too big for the tiles.
I made a templet by folding paper in quarters and cutting to the size I wanted. That way, it was even.
Once you have your pictures cut to how you want them, you take your sponge brush and lightly brush a thin coat of Modge Podge onto the tile. I used 4" tiles for this project, but you can use whatever size you want.

After you finish brushing the Modge Podge, immediaelty place your picture onto the tile, sliding it around to where you want it. 
After that drys for a few minutes (about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the humidity), lightly brush Modge Podge over the entire tile. It will look like you goofed, but you did not. I promise, it will dry clear. 
See how clear they dried? Now you need to put several coats on these (drying between each coat). I think I did three or four. I'd do at least three. When they have dried and cured for at least eight hours (I let them set for a day or so), you then want to seal them. I used Modge Podge sealer, but you can use any type.
I love how these turned out, and can't wait to do some more. I will be working on some stuff for Christmas gifts and maybe even for a craft fair I'm thinking about doing. I'm sure I will be blogging all about it....




No comments:

Post a Comment