Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Saturday, March 10, 2012

HIGHER EDUCATION IS WORTH IT!!!!!



The other day, I heard something that really disturbed me. I was told that going to college is a BIG waste of time. More and more I seem to hear this. I asked this individual why he thought this. His answer was that he knew so many that had an education and were without a job. In particular, we were talking about engineering graduates. I basically told him he did not know what he was talking about. Statistics show, unemployment rate was 4.3 percent among those with a Bachelor's, compared to the national average of 9.1 percent. As an engineering graduate, you were pretty much guaranteed a job right out of school.


I will have to agree with him about some other graduates. I know a lot of people who are graduating in basic degrees like Kinesilogy, Biology, Zoology, foreign languages, etc. These individuals are going to have a hard time finding a job with just the basic Bachelor degree.  They will need to go on to get their Master's or Doctorate in order to get a descent job in their field of study.


Just yesterday, I was watching the news, and they were talking about more and more technical companies were having a hard time finding skilled workers. In particular, they mentioned welders. Welders are in a huge demand right now, and soon will be even in more demand, as most of the current welders are approaching retirement. 


So, if you or someone you know is debating on whether or not to go on to get higher education, don't hesitate; and do not major in generic things, unless you plan to go on. Psychology is not a good major to go into....UNLESS...you plan to become a doctor. Same things with Chemistry, Biology, or Zoology. You WILL need to go on and further your education. 


From what I hear and see, those who major in technical degrees or nursing (or other medical careers), are more likely to get good paying jobs upon graduation.


2 comments: