Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Fishextender Gifts and Copyright Laws

Guitar String Keychains from 
TappingflamingoBling
A lot of you know what Fishextender gifts are, but some of you do not. Fishextender gifts are basically a group of people on a Disney Cruise that exchange gifts. I first heard of this when we took our first Disney Cruise in 2015. It was a lot of fun, and we continue to get gift exchanges going on other cruise lines we sail on.

So what do people give as gifts? Well, just about anything...from jewelry, to candy, to first aid kits to puzzles and ornaments and keychains.


Mardi Gras Style Beaded Keychains
from TappingflamingoBling

On our last cruise, our group decided to bring something that represents the state with which you live. I made these Beaded Mardi Gras Themed Keychains, and everyone LOVED them. 

Fishextender Keychains 


We are getting ready for another cruise in a few months, and my mom is going to give these pictured above as gifts. Since she lives near the Disney area, and we are also leaving from that area, she thought they would be perfect. I made them for her to give out.

Louisiana Themed Keychains
from TappingflamingoBling

I thought about making these Louisiana Themed Keychains pictured above, but then I thought of something else that I plan to share later.

Cruise Themed Keychains
from TappingflamingoBling

Something that I would like to share with you has to do with copyright laws. I see a lot of online shops that carry Disney themed gift ideas. This is a huge no, no...unless you have permission from Disney. 
Disney Themed Keychains
from TappingflamingoBling

I'll be honest with you. I thought that if you bought, say, fabric that was sold by Disney, that you could make something from it and sell it. Nope, legally, you cannot. You can make something for personal use or as a gift for someone, but you cannot sell it. OOPS!  Time to rethink my fish extender gifts. For the most part the keychains in the photo above are fine, except the Mickey ears. So, I redid them.

Princess Themed Keychains
from TappingflamingoBling

I took the mouse ears away, and now I have strictly Princess Themed Keychains. This is ok, as Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Princess and the Frog are all public dominion. Now when I list these on my shop, I have to be careful not to use copyrighted names. 

Fleur de Lis Keychains
from TappingflamingoBling

So, next time you go searching for anything that is copyrighted material, be careful. Try searching for items in a different way, as there are a lot of fun creations that are not coming up on your search, because they are not using copyrighted names. Search for "Cruise Fishextender Gifts." Or "Princess Themed Gift Exchange."

Patriotic Themed Keychains
from TappingflamingoBling

TappingflamingoBling has all kinds of fun sets of keychains and other gift ideas on  Etsy.  I've even made beaded dreadlocks that are great to wear in your hair for a pirate party or just to have the island vibe in your wardrobe. 











2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to go on a Disney Cruise. Hope you have a blast. I love the keychains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cruising, and usually go Carnival. I'm glad I went Disney, but not sure I'll go again. It was really $$. I did a youtube video on my Tappingflamingo Youtube channel about it. It was a three day cruise, so I did three separate videos....here is the link to the first one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMpG9MZzgg&t=68s

      Delete