Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Sunday, April 1, 2012

182nd Annual General Conference

This weekend I was able to enjoy the 182nd Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I enjoyed every minute of it. The only thing I did not like about it was that I was not able to enjoy it with my husband and all four of our children. He watched it, but in Kentucky. As far as my children, well, my daughter and her husband are living elsewhere, my oldest son had to work, one of our other sons was home for part of it, but had to go back to college, and my youngest and I watched it together.


There were so many uplifting words that were said. I can't remember their being a conference that there were so many good quotes from our leaders. I'll share some of them with you.


Larry Y Wilson said, "Wise parents prepare their children to get along without them." As a mother of four, I never really looked at it that way, but, yes, that is what we should do, so that they will be prepared when they leave the home to be on their own.


Neil L. Anderson said, " What thinks Christ of me? He talked about how " the winds of change and moral fiber are disentegrating today." He spoke how difficult it is to be a disciple in today's time, and that "discipleship is not a competition." He really gave a good talk.


Then there was Dieter F Uchdorf. I love his talks. He spoke of how we should not judge. I took a boatload of notes on this one. This is one of my pet peeves, for others to judge especially before they know the whole story. He said he could give a two word sermon on this, "STOP IT!" All of us must repent and forgive. Then he quoted a bumper sticker he saw, "Don't judge me because my sin is different than yours." Boy, how true!!!

Here are some other quotes I liked:
"Ponder the truths you've heard, help them make you better than you already are." President Thomas S. Monson (in referring to all the talks this weekend)
"Remove all of your fear with faith." M. Russell Ballard
"If we dedicate our attention to our families we will do better temporally and spiritually." . Russell Ballard
"The Bible and the Book of Mormon work together to confound false doctrine!" L. Tom Perry
"If someone is drowning, would you ask if they need your help?"
Ronald A Rasband. This was in reference to helping others. In other words, if you see someone needs help don't ask, just do. Of course, most people are going to say they are fine, that they don't need help. Brother Rasband's talk was a really good one too!

President Monson then closed by some wise words. Most of which most of us already know, but it is always good to be reminded. "We live in troubled times....pray always." "The spirit of contention is not of the Lord, it is of the Devil!"

Well, this is just a smiggin' of things that were said to us by our church leaders. It will be a few weeks before it is in print, but you can go here to view or listen to all the talks that have been given over the past two days. Even if you are not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, there are so many good and uplifting things that were said. I hope you have the opportunity to watch some of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment