Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Friday, April 13, 2012

Tickling the Ivories



Over the Easter holiday, I had all my kidos home. It was really nice having them all here. The only thing that would have made it better is if my husband could have made it.


We really didn't do much. My daughter and her husband brought a BOATLOAD of laundry to do, so while it washed, we baked cookies, played games, and listened to her play the piano.
All of my children were given the opportunity to take piano lessons. They all played for several years. Seemed like once they hit high school, they lost interest. Ashley was the only one that stayed with it. I love hearing her play.
I remember when I was a little girl, I always wanted to learn to play. I begged my mom for lesson. Every year we went to Colorado to visit my family. We drove for three days to get there and stayed for about three weeks. We stayed with my grandparents, and they had an old piano. I remember banging on that thing, actually, I tried picking out songs. I was successful in picking out some songs. To this day, I can remember figuring out how to play My Country 'Tis of Thee. I can still play it...one finger, that is. Before the time came that we had to make the long trek back to Florida, we would get Grandma to play. She could only play one song, but boy, could she ever play it. I loved watching my tiny little grandma sit down and attack that piano. The song she played was Chopsticks (the full version).
And boy, did she ever get into it!
Ashley reminds me a lot of my grandmother when she plays, she too attacks that keyboard. She takes full control!

I am so grateful that we were able to have this piano. When the kids were young, we really wanted to get a piano, but just could not afford one. When Miles was about seven years old, our church was getting ready to do some major updating and renovating (the building). A lot of the stuff in the building was being auctioned in a silent auction. Among the tables, books, and other furniture were two pianos. We put in a bid and got one! Immediately, Miles and Ashley began to take lessons.  

We had just started home schooling, and a friend of mine from church had quit teaching piano lessons because she wanted to have time with her children when they got home from school. We worked it out where she would teach Miles and Ashley during the day. I was so happy about that. 

Well, anyway, we now have a piano that pretty much just sits there, unless Ashley comes to visit. Every once in awhile, one of the boys walks over, sits down, and plays a little something, but for the most part, the piano is just collecting dust. I told Ashley some time ago, that since she was the only one that stuck with the lessons, that piano belongs to her. Someday....she will have it. But until they are done with school and not moving around every ten seconds like college students do, the piano will rest in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment