Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Monday, November 14, 2011

Personal Progress


I served in the Young Women's program at our church for the past four years, and loved every minute of it.  In our ward, we have some of the best girls. During these past years, we have worked hard on our Personal Progress, which is a goal setting program that helps the girls to grow into happy, strong and productive ladies. You can read about it in my blog dated 4 Feb 2011 titled Goals. I tried to instill the importance of the program by not only the girls participating in the program, but my counselors and I working on it too. If it is important that they work on it, it is just as important that we all work on these goals, and strengthen our knowledge and testimony of the Gospel. I also got some of the ladies at church to help out, and introduced the program in a Relief Society lesson one Sunday.

Personal Progress starts when a young lady turns 12. She works in different areas until she reaches 18, including reading and studying the Book of Mormon.  It is a very involved program and one must work hard to finish. Many compare it to the Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts. Our girls worked so hard, that many finished before they turned 16. If this happens, the girls can continue to work on it again, by mentoring a young woman and reading the Book of Mormon again. They then receive their Honor Bee.

Last November, I finished my Personal Progress and received my medallion. I love wearing it, as it reminds me of who I am, and what I represent. I had a goal to earn my Honor Bee before I was released from my calling in Young Women. This past August, I was released, and sadly, I did not finish. I was so close, as I had everything but just a few books in the Book of Mormon to finish.  Well, yesterday, I finally finished reading, and I'll have to say again, my testimony has strengthened.

Each time I read the Book of Mormon, I am amazed. For those of you who do not know what this book is, it is another Testament of our Savior Jesus Christ. It is the story of the people who lived on the American Continent and talks about Christ's visit to them after His death and Resurrection. Christ talks of His other sheep in the New Testament, well some of those other sheep are those who lived in the Americas.

I would like to close, by saying how grateful I am to have been involved with the Young Women. They helped to strengthen me, and it is my prayer, that they continue on the path they are now on, and grow to be strong, happy individuals in the Gospel.

Young Women's Torch
"Stand for Truth and Righteousness" 



.

No comments:

Post a Comment