Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turtle Pumpkin Pie


I know most of you will think I'm crazy when I say I do not like pumpkin pie.  I never have liked pumpkin much except for pumpkin rolls. Now those are something I can sink my teeth into!  

This Thanksgiving , we decided to go down to Baton Rouge and spend it with my daughter and her new husband.  Being students, they live in a pretty small apartment. It's not as small as our first place, though. They are fortunate enough to have been able to get a two bedroom apartment, so my husband and I slept in one of the bedrooms, and our three boys took turns sleeping on the couch or the cot we brought, or on the floor.  Three days, three boys, and three different locations; each were able to take a turn in each area. 

Anyway, Ashley and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner.  We had turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, green bean casserole, crescent rolls, macaroni and cheese, apple salad, and several desserts, including a Turtle Pumpkin Pie.  I was a little hesitant at first, but seeing it had caramel (I LOVE caramel), whip topping, and a graham cracker crust, I just had to try it. 


My lovely daughter 

First you take a graham cracker pie crust and pour 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of caramel ice cream topping into it. Then you top with about 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of chopped pecans. 


Then you mix 2 small packages of vanilla flavor instant pudding and 2 cups cold milk, add 1 cup pumpkin, 1 teaspoon, ground cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.  Fold in 4 oz Cool Whip.  Spoon into crust and refrigerate for and hour. Top with remaining Cool Whip. Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping and pecans just before serving. 


Now I did it a bit different. Since I am not a fan of pumpkin (it's a bit strong for me), and we have a few family members who don't like whip topping, (or pumpkin either) I went ahead and mixed the whole 8 oz tub of Cool Whip into the mixture before refrigerating it. It was really good! I think I may make this for Christmas. 


No comments:

Post a Comment