Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Monday, November 26, 2012

THANKSGIVING 2012

We had a lovely Thanksgiving. Warmest one in a looooong time. I believe it was in the 70's! The little ones got to eat outside. We had some tasty food too.
I made some Jambalaya which everyone loved. Even got to share the recipe to a couple. I did make it a wee bit spicy for the little ones though. Next time I need to leave the Tabasco and red pepper out. I've posted the recipe on one of my posts. So just click here to see it. I sure hope ya'll try it. I not only left the hot stuff out but also the shrimp. We have family who can't eat it and besides, it is getting a bit pricey.
I also made some macaroni and cheese. It's best to make it then eat it right out of the oven. I made it ahead of time. It was still good, but like I said, not as good. Here's the recipe...
Macaroni and Cheese
Elbow noodles
Large can of can milk
Stick of butter
Cheese (I like sharp cheddar)
Tony's Creole seasoning (optional)
Cook your noodles and drain. Put into a cake pan (or other casserole dish). Throw the butter into the noodles to melt, add the cheese (as much or as little as you want. I like a lot). Stir all that around til it starts to melt, then slowly add the milk; all around the pan, stirring. Once all that is mixed together you can add some Tony's. If you are from Louisiana or lived there anytime, you learn to put that on EVERYTHING!!! It is really yummy. After everything is mixed well, you can add some cheese to the top and toss the pan into the oven and cook for about 20 minutes )or until cheese is melted) at 350. This is really a yummy dish.
The next thing I made is something that has been in our family for many, many generations. Not sure where it came from, but my mom and her mom both have made it for years. We have always made it at Thanksgiving and Christmas, not sure why we don't make it other times of the year, because it is REALLY good. I introduced it to my in laws, and now I am expected to make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas if I am there. If not, they always call and get the recipe. Here is what is in it...
Apple Salad
About three apples, NOT peeled, just cut up
About three bananas, sliced
Large can of chunk pineapple, drained and save the juice for later
Marshmallows
About two ribs of celery
Chopped walnuts
Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (whatever you have on hand)
Toss everything except the Mayonnaise and pineapple juice into a large bowl. Then take some of the pineapple juice and mayonnaise and mix in a small bowl until the consistency of milk or maybe a little thicker, but not much thicker. Pour over the fruit mixture and toss. Sometimes I have to add a little more. This is not much of a recipe, you just have to eyeball it. But it sure is good!
Of course we had turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, dressing, and PIES!!!!
I'm sure I am leaving something out. We had a lot of food. All of which was delicious! I am grateful for my family, and thankful for the fun times and memories we have made over the years, having Carter Thanksgiving, the food and company is always nice!





No comments:

Post a Comment