Early July Morning, Cocoa Beach, Florida

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Butterskotcheroos

Last night, we had a social at church; a cookie swap. Everyone was suppose to bring their favorite cookies and tell why.  I love cookies. Our whole family is made up of a bunch of Cookie Monsters. In fact, I've had request for giant cookies for the birthdays instead of cakes.

All week I've been thinking about what I could take. I turned to my grandmother's recipes, as she was the best baker in the world. She use to make these wonderful chocolate chip/oatmeal cookies with coconut in them. They were made with lots and lots of brown sugar, and boy were they "maw-velous."
My husband makes some real good cookies too. Chocolate Chippers, right out of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. I think I've decided to make Butterskotcheroos, and here is why--

First off they came from Grandma. They have always been everyone's favorite. In fact I can remember one time when a good friend of mine desperately asked for the recipe as she was wanting to take them to her husband who was in the hospital on his birthday. I use to take them all the time to church socials, and they were his most favorite things that anyone ever brought. Every time there was a church social, everyone requested Butterskotcheroos from me.

Another reason I like them so much, is that they make great food storage items. Everything in them are things you can store on the shelf, and most the time everyone has the ingredients. And speaking of ingredients, here is the recipe:
1 cup Kayor syrup
1 cup white sugar
in pan heat on low to medium til melted together, then remove just before it starts to boil
add
1 cup peanut butter and blend well
then add
6 cups Rice Krispies
blend well and pat into 9X13 cake pan
in microwave oven melt
about a handful or so chocolate chips
about a handful or so butterskotch chips
microwave 1 minute at a time til the chips are melted, mixing each time
once they are melted and mixed well, icing the top of the cereal mixture. set into fridge just til icing is set, and vola, you have a wonderful treat that everyone will enjoy!
One other reason I love this recipe--I entered it into a cookbook contest on QVC, and it got published!
If you have this book, you will find it toward the back (I have it in storage right now, or I would tell you the page). It's under Terry Carter, Crossett, Arkansas (we were living there at the time).

Well I didn't get to go to the social. I had made them, and we were pretty much ready to go, but then I had this feeling that I should stay home. You see, just a few hours before we were to leave, Sox, our dog, started acting funny. Usually she is one of the most energetic, playful little girls, but she was hobbling round, moping and by the time we were to leave, she wouldn't even get up. I was really worried about her, so worried, I called the vet. He told me to keep an eye on her and if she did not get better to bring her in the next day. So far, she seems to be doing better. I think she may have pulled or sprained something running around in the backyard, as I don't see anything that looks as if she got bitten by anything, or anything in her paw that looks abnormal.

So, I guess I will just have to bag these Butterskotheroos up and give them to someone special.

No comments:

Post a Comment